Image

At the urging of several friend I am reading this book


Have you read it?
I have a love hate relationship with this book. I was talking to another woman about it last weekend and she said "I hated that book, yet I loved it too. "
Which exactly are my sentiments about it. 
I hate how she writes- it is so poetic at times I have trouble sorting through all the wordage to find the point. 
Yet when the point it uncovered- it is Gold. 
It is changing my view, my level of gratefulness- and just taking the time to see the blessings in my life has been monumental to changing my view- to my transformation.
I know it is the "In" book to read- and I don't want me counting my blessings & finding joy in the mundane to be hip, or cliche'.
But it does change my life- my outlook.

We went to a marriage retreat this weekend- it was so incredible to get a few days away. Emmaus stayed with a good friend and I didn't worry about her once all weekend- it was heavenly. Dan and I got to dig into us- to sort out us a bit.  Did you know the divorce rate for couples with special needs kids is often thought to be 85-90%. Ummmm.... wow.
Lesson learned 
Special-Needs Child = Special Attention to the Marriage
We had time to focus on each other and remember why we chose each other.  We have the goal to go on weekly date nights and get an overnight away from Emmaus once a month until the baby comes. 

During the retreat there was some time when a few couples prayed for Dan and I. It was so impact-full for us. At some point someone prayed we would know Emmaus is a blessing to those around us- that she isn't a burden (something we feel sometimes- that it is a burden to others when we ask for help- we realize this is mainly in our heads, but still something we feel) 
and also that we could know she is made in God's image. 

I can't get that out my head this week. How sometimes I get so mad about her having TS, or so frustrated with the limits it puts on her, or on our life- and I forget that God created her perfectly, that he knit her together in my womb.

That she is made in the image of God. 
And I need to treat her like that...always. 
Not get frustrated with her lack of sleeping, or overwhelmed with the work we have to do with her. 
But soak in the image in which she was created. The beauty of having a child with special needs. I am blessed to get a first hand look at life with her- to know her so intimately to see a side of the Father people often don't get to see- 
The beauty of her unbridled joy- the simplicity of how she loves those around her.  



Photobucket

Comments

  1. What a beautiful revelation! so glad you had a great weekend.

    Also, I strongly dislike/hate the way ann writes. you are right on. it's too wordy. and too "much" if that makes sense. but when she hits gold, you're right, it's GOOOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this :) And now that she is sleep trained, I will gladly take the 1 overnighter a month! Besides then maybe she'd sleep that whole month!! I think we probably just wore her out! Lol. Thanks again for blessing me with her and for entrusting me with her care. It meant the world to me and in case you ever doubt whether she is a burden or not; go get one of those infamous squeezes and you'll quickly be reminded she is definitely NOT a burden, but a bundle of sweet love! Enjoy the rest of your book :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts