Motherhood. Who knew.

I have to remind myself almost daily that these years are suppose to be the crazy ones. That having little kids isn't easy. It feels like time just rushes together and yet somehow the two hours from 4pm-6pm last an eternity.
I looked at my work schedule for the first six weeks of the new year and instantly felt overwhelmed. Desperately searching for when I would "get a break". Truth be told I never have worked so many hours since becoming a mom. And while I know I am exactly where I am suppose to be, the demand of it all feels heavy.  It seems impossible to be in charge of so much and to do it all well.
It is funny. I have always dreamed of having a family. A big one. I didn't always want to be a nurse, or have a love for sewing and crafting. But I always wanted to be a mom.
And yet the mom job is so much harder than I ever imagined. It seems crazy to me all the self sacrifice it takes to "have exactly what I wanted".
Of course I figured I would stay home, have endless funds to do fun things with my kids and take vacations with them- all my kids were of course healthy, and EXTREMELY well behaved and they were all excellent sleepers- and the sickness-you know, the endless runny nose, cough and fever that never leave small children- yeah that didn't exist in my mind.
(I am giggling writing this. But it's true! It's kinda what I dreamed this life would be like!)
Instead I am humbled daily- serving the tiny humans I created. Working hard outside our home, while trying to manage everything in it. Driving what I call "the bus route" to and from Emmaus' school each day. Working to try to understand what she needs and her frustration at a low level.   Pleading with my two year old to stop crying, whining, and to try her food. Annoyed when my baby is still waking to eat multiple times a night. (Seriously we need to sleep train- but I am just too dang tired!)
I have to remember to stop and enjoy the stage we are in. Even in its hardness. To take a look around and be less overwhelmed for the housework that never ends, the sleep that never happens, and the snot that is ALWAYS on my clothing.

Motherhood. Who knew. 

Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts