Survival of viral pneumonia and other thoughts.

Today as I arrived at the hospital to pack up miss Emmaus and bring her home after our week long stay for viral pneumonia there was a mom laying in the middle of the parking lot cradling her son. He was obviously delayed, non verbal, a husky seven year old, weighing close to what his mom weighed.  She was half trying to get him up, and half patiently waiting, cradling him. As I approached asking if she needed help, she calmly replied "He's just having a seizure. I just have to wait until he comes around and then we can get out of the way."
I sat with her as he became more alert. He looked at me intently and reached out to pat me. I told her he reminded me of my daughter. The mom confided his seizures scare her. I told her I truly understand.  It was just a few minutes, but to make a simple connection, in a moment of true helplessness for that mom who was watching her boy battle his own body- for her not to be alone in that moment- isn't that what this life is all about? I found myself asking how do I best support those I live with on a daily basis? For the strangers I meet?
I often wonder what it will be like as Emmaus gets older. Will I be that mom cradling my sweet baby as she has a seizure in the parking lot- other people totally freaked out, and that just being our normal? I sometimes fear her getting big, because I know it will be harder for Dan and I physically.  It is one of those things I try not to think about much, because I know I do not have the grace to handle those challenges yet, but will in time.

This has been a week of us needing help. Lots of help. We have had meals brought, so many people babysitting, people cleaning, grocery shopping. Our tribe stepped up. We were not alone.
Although it wasn't an ideal circumstance both Dan and I reflected on truly getting quality time with Emmaus this week. Since we have three girls we rarely are 1 on 1 with her for extended periods of time and to truly have that time was a blessing. Even though her words are few she has a great sense of humor and I truly think she's funny!
She would request things and then laugh and say "Nooooooo" if it was something she couldn't have. My mom taught her to fake snore- which truly is her making a "shooooooo" sound. And whenever she would lay down to sleep she would look at me out of the corner of her eye and do this.

This week thanks to our amazing support we truly smoothly sailed through the challenges of having an infant, a two year old and then Emmaus in the hospital.  It wasn't easy, and my mommy heart was definitely pulled in three as I felt each girl needed me in their own way. (Some being more vocal about their needs than others!) But we survived and I am so thankful that tonight we are all under the same roof.









Photobucket

Comments

  1. You do not know me, but I know your mom and have been following your saga for a while. You amaze me with your composure, strength and coping abilities. I am glad that you have many to help out and support you. Know you also have many of us at a distance who would help with anything should you need. May your road be smoother and the bumps softer with time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts