A generous heart

Sometimes the most simple acts of generosity blow me away.

I long to be generous. Not a little generous. But- give up something I really love- because I know you would love it too- generous.
I think that part of the reason I am such a huge Dave Ramsey fanatic is because when you don't owe others money, your money is freely yours to generously give.

As a family we have been given so much.
I can't even begin to list (nor will I try for fear of forgetting something) the gifts we have been given. The generosity especially in times of need that we have been shown.
And the faithfulness not only from the Lord but from our community too.

Tonight we had a fundraiser at Chick-fil-a to raise funds for the TS walk.  And man did our community show up.  It was incredible to see friends old and new. Friends I met for the first time tonight- but that are friends none the less. People came from all over the KC area to support Emmaus.  To support us.

And while people gave donations even above their time and dinner prices the sweetest most generous gift of the night came from a little girl that had never even met Emmaus.

I am sure she knows a little about Emmaus- as this event was for her. But she wanted to give Emmaus a little disney princess doll. And we all know how precious anything princess is to a 3 year old girl.
Reflecting on this generous act- I find it a little interesting that the age group most typically considered a little selfish, not eager to share and somewhat self focused (a child) so honestly and easily gave a precious gift to another. In fact- it wasn't just another, but another child she had never met.

And then I think of myself- And wonder, how I can be more like this sweet girl?  How do I reach out and give good gifts to those around me? Not my seconds, or my left overs- but things I love.
As adults I believe we are far too focused on our comfort, on what we have earned or what is owed to us. On having the very best, on looking a certain way to those around us. And so we miss the point.

So this little princess?
 It speaks volumes to me. It takes me out of my comfort zone. It rearranges my heart and my attitude. And it challenges me to become more child-like in my generosity.













Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts