Strengths

This week I found myself filling out information for Emmaus' first IEP evaluation. IEP for those unfamiliar is the special education plan for those that have special learning needs.
It basically was one of the more discouraging moments of my life. There is nothing quite like filling out "No" on page after page of skills that your child cannot do.

I finally stopped working on it after the question "What are your child's strengths".
Que crickets.....
She has lots of them. But I know the ones that immediately came to mind were not what the question was looking for.

1.Emmaus is an Excellent Cuddler.


2.Emmaus is very affectionate.

3.Emmaus loves her sister fiercely.
4. Emmaus is an excellent teacher.
             -Especially in the areas of patience, hope, and Lord's faithfulness.


Emmaus reminds me that this earth is not my home. And while I struggle still when I have to look at the reality of "where she is"  verses  "where she could be".  I am very proud of her strengths.  (Very proud of her in general)

Overall her evaluation went well. She showed she has "behavioral issues" and "transition problems" by screaming/refusing to participate for the first 30 minutes. Then she began to warm up and show off some of her skills.
After being told multiple times by several different sources that she likely would not qualify for classroom preschool services. She qualified for FULL services!
We are both excited about this- and sad at the thought of leaving her current school that we love so very much.
The actual hours spent in school will be less, but it will be more of a routine. And since we will not be paying for private education I will be able to be home with the girls more. Giving more stability overall to her daily schedule.

Sis- you are incredible. You teach your mommy every day. 
You are my biggest challenge, an incredible joy & seriously- the BEST cuddler I know. 



Photobucket

Comments

  1. Love you all...AND she is the best cuddler ever (but your little brother was pretty good, too!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. Greyson is all these things too! I HATE that question about their strengths, because how do you even begin to describe the amount of strength these babies have? Impossible to quantify. My favorite part is how you said that E reminds you that you are not a being of Earth. Yes, Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts