An Excellent Day

Yesterday was a good day. A really good day.
I would say good days for us are far and few between. Don't get me wrong. We have a list of things we are thankful for daily, and we have great moments each day. But generally speaking Emmaus has a lot more hard moments than good ones. And So I have conditioned myself to have pretty low expectations. For example. I took treats to school on her birthday and she basically lost her shit. She freaked out, pulled her hair, screamed, threw the pretend cake her teacher had set out. She did enjoy the singing. And I enjoyed the grace her teacher extended to her. And the fact that her teacher knew the music that would make Emmaus happy and played it during snack time. But overall- I wasn't surprised by her reaction or disappointed- like I would have been six months ago. I am learning to keep my expectations low and then when a good day comes- I am pleasantly surprised!
And yesterday we were surprised by a really good day.
She woke up happy. She went to target with her dad and sister and didn't have a single melt down. She walked around all day embracing the knees of those around her giving the best hugs! I heard her say words I have never heard before! (Strawberry, downstairs) She took a nap. And all of this happened on the day we had planned her little birthday party.

I even had a little craft time in the morning to finish this book garland- which always is a plus. Creating anything is good for my soul! 

She was ecstatic to see some of her favorite people. She didn't freak out when we sang to her, or cry when she got overwhelmed. She just was a fun happy girl.

She even enjoyed opening her presents, which has never happened before! 

 And then baby sis capped off the party by taking 5 big steps in front of the remaining family! I have been convinced she would start walking while Dan and I are out of town this week.  We missed Emmaus' first steps because they happened during physical therapy at school- so it was very fun to see Shiloh's!

I am thankful for the rest a wonderful day provides. Yesterday will be a shining memory in my mind for a long time to come. Happy girl. Stepping baby. Sweet times indeed.

Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts