Tall nonfat piping hot cup of Nostalgia

The hubby and I got to go on a date last week. We did a little shopping- which I'm sure was his first choice of activity (or not), but he was a good sport. And then had a fun dinner. And then to end the Evening we drove the familiar drive to our beloved Prairie Village Starbucks. I know that sounds stupid- that starbucks is a special place to us. However let me explain. First- this isn't any Starbucks. This specific store space has been a coffee shop since I was a very young girl. My mom used to take me there on occasion and get me a vanilla steamer. I thought I was so big drinking my "coffee". I remember sitting at the table, looking out the window, and being with my mom.  Little did I know that several years later I would move home from college to start nursing school and end up working in this same building, however now it was a Starbucks. It doesn't have a drive through, it is a small store, simple really. And makes Mission Kansas seem like the neighborhood where everyone knows one another- which is often the case.
About a month after I started working at this Starbucks we got a new manager. His name was Dan. He was kind, energetic, and the type of person who remembered your name. I introduced myself to him once, and I never remember him EVER mispronouncing my name after that.
I was coming out of a rough relationship, broken hearted, and weary.
He was a 20 year old who STILL had braces, was a total pot-head, smoked probably a pack a day and had the MOST ridiculous haircut I maybe have ever seen.
NOT MY TYPE.
However- I always enjoyed him. And remember being interested in him very early on.
I heard a rumor a few months ago that the store was moving, they were building a new store just across the parking lot, that would be much bigger and have a drive through. (The mother in me loves drive throughs, however my heart hurt a little knowing this little space would cease to exist).
So Dan and I took one last trip to the place we met, and our young love began.

We ordered our drinks and sat in the corner. Dan still remembered the loyal customer and his drink that sat in the chair across the store.
We talked about the day we met, when he played Santa for the store Christmas party, the first time we hung out, about how I always would go "study" at the store just to see him. How, once I traded into accidentily closing the store with him (after we were already dating secretly- he wrote the schedule and always made it so we didn't work together-since our relationship was a no-no) and how awkward it was. And how five minutes after we closed the store and both left I called him and we hung out- as two people dating, instead of a boss and his employee.

I found myself wondering if I had known then what our life would entail- would I have run for the hills? Or would I have geared up and headed into the storm. I am glad I didn't know. I tend to like the easy road.  I would have missed all the joy that comes from the hard in our lives. All the pain that has been so magnificently transformed into hope, and growth.

As we sat sipping our piping cups of nostalgia- I wished I could step back into those simpler times. (At least they seem simpler in hindsight- they had their own challenges I'm sure).  That we could hang out at the Lamar house on summer nights. That we could pick up and go on a road trip-because why not?   That we could exchange secret glances as we sat together with no agenda on the back porch of Starbucks.
Truth is- if I could return to that time. I would miss our now. Our little ones. Giggly girls. The beautiful life we live.



Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts