Little babies

I had the realization today that I have TWO very young children. I know technically they are two years apart- which is pretty normal spacing- but in reality they are like 16 months apart? Less in many aspects?! I don't know how "old" Emmaus truly is developmentally.
But I had this realization while holding a crying 2 year old, and making "goals" with her occupational therapist at school and then realizing my newborn is screaming bloody murder two feet away and I had failed to notice- and then I found myself holding both, able to comfort neither- and the OT shifting the attention to me and saying "I have no idea how you are managing". YEAH. Me either- but you win some you lose some- and she caught me in a losing moment - ALTHOUGH- to my defense we did get to school on time- Hell I managed to enroll the kid in school. I WIN.
Although she did look like this with her mini cheerio beard when we got to school. Let me tell you- stick with plain cheerios! Honey nut are like little self adhesive O's and get stuck EVERYWHERE!!
I may be pondering my small children too much- because I definitely left our van door open today while I stopped into work. Just forgot to close it. You know what a task it is to close those  automatic closing doors! 

Everyday when I get Emmaus from school they tell me how great she slept! Today she slept a whopping TWO hours! ummmm I don't rememeber the last time she napped that long!! 
Oh- thats right- cause it was NEVER. (fine rarely)
Most of her naps occur in the care and then I hang out till she wakes up. 
(Which I always thought was STUPID- but really- I get to sit there in silence and read, or play on my phone- WITHOUT getting whined at because the toddler wants my phone) 
I win again!
 Shiloh may have developed baby acne- due to her daily "face lickings" (kisses) from Emmaus. I probably should wash the poor kids face daily- poor second baby. She probably needs a bath- considering I don't remember when her last one was. 
 Tonight we had an impromptu dinner with some good friends. Well it was Brinner (breakfast for dinner).  And then an impromptu dance party afterwards. We are trying to be more intentional about living and sharing our lives with others. Whether that be dinner- or just time spent together. But to live in REAL community with others- not just cyber community! 


 And I will leave you with this. A true pic of my current reality. Nursing one baby- snugging the slightly bigger baby. I don't know how I am doing it- but I (we) are. And yes my hands are full, but so is my heart. And yes I freak out occasionally with everyone needing me. (And touching me- I am just not a huge physical touch person). But I wouldn't have it any other way. 


Photobucket

Comments

  1. My favorite part is the Cheerios beard. Hands down. You're doing it friend. And I'm impressed. Also I'm with you on the being touched thing. Put that on my list of things I did not anticipate being hard as a mama. I told Lila the other day that I just needed her "to not touch me right now." She looked at me like I was depriving her of her very breath. Ok bedtime. I'm going to sleep with a smile on my face thinking about Emmaus' Cheerios beard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone in the hanging out in the car while the toddler naps. Our tot wakes the minute you pull her out of the carseat; never goes back to sleep. So my hubby said one Saturday, wanna grab a coffee, park, and have an adult conversation? We did, she napped, it was great..win, win! Lol about the car door. I have packed up, loaded the car and then realized then that the clingy kid on my hip will want down the minute we get to where ever and need SHOES! Remember what counts is your thinking about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me laugh out loud multiple times. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts