SLEEP (again)

Back in the day when I knew everything about parenting (you know back before I had a child) I always knew I would get my child sleep trained and nights would be a breeze.
WELL LET ME TELL YOU I WAS WRONG. WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.
See the funny thing is that I still am not a fan of co-sleeping. I want my baby in her bed and I want mine to be a place just for the hubby and myself. However although I am not a fan of co-sleeping I AM a fan of sleeping. And I just have no clue how to handle the "MY CHILD DOESN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT" problem. 
I know there are 100 books on this very topic. But is there one about your kid having seizures and waking up? And what to do if they have developmental delays? I mean they say your kid can't affectively self sooth until around 4-6 months. So if my kid is developmentally where a 3-4 month old is do I continue to get her at night cause she can't self sooth? Or do I let her cry it out? And when I let her cry it out and she never does go back to sleep what does that mean? (Besides that we are both awake and miserable) 
I will tell you this. I AM TIRED OF SLEEPING ON THE COUCH WITH THE KID. and just tired in general really. 
I mean I actually look forwards to the weekends (just a little bit) because I know after working all night friday I will be exhausted and get to sleep for 7+ straight hours on saturday during the day. 

She does nap well and I am thankful for that. However, she doesn't really have a nap schedule either. Because it all depends on what the night went like.  And I know a lot of people are very strict about their kids napping schedules but I just can't be that rigid. I'm just not made like that. Plus I know it won't help the night time sleep because of the seizures...so what's the point?! 

Oh college. I remember you. The days of sleeping ALL NIGHT LONG. AND TAKING A NAP IN THE AFTERNOON. (and all my meals being cooked for me now that I think of it). 

Kid I love you. And you are the only one (and your future siblings) that I would lose this much sleep over. 
Love, 
La


Comments

  1. My husband and I always said we were NOT going to co-sleep... Well, guess what we're doing now. I decided a little sleep is better than no sleep at all. It is getting old though... Hope you find a solution. If you do, lmk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say 2 things: I have 2 kids, 1 who slept amazingly as a baby and 1 who didn't. I tried letting the poor sleeper cry it out and it didn't work. It was awful. To this day I have a lot of guilt over that decision. I have concluded that as far as infant sleep issues go, some babies are good sleepers and some aren't. Don't have any expectations the first year. And I'm not trying to be unsympathetic or judgmental because believe me, I understand. This time a year ago I felt anxious every night when I went to bed b/c I didn't know how many times my son would wake me up. It's rough, I know.

    However, he DID start sleeping 12 hours a night at 11 months! And as far as co-sleeping goes, I never did it and I can say that everyone I know who has ever co-slept still has kids wake up at 2 or 3 years old. I know that doesn't mean that's true of everyone but it just has always struck me how so often the moms who co-sleep are the ones still waking up with their older children. I had one friend whose 8-year-old came in their room every night to sleep on a sofa in their bedroom. Again, not trying to be judgmental because I know some people love sleeping with their kids but I am not one of those people. I'm with them all day every day and need my own space to sleep!

    Just some things to think about...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby...you have to do what works for you...I seldom, if ever, let you or your brother sleep with us but did at times sleep in your room on the daybed. However Emmaus is not in the same situation. Maybe you can let her sleep with you UNTIL she gets to where she CAN self sooth...but then she also will need to LEARN to self sooth. Maybe the reintroduction of the pacifier is keeping her from her thumb and slowing the self soothing process...or maybe the pacifier is helping immensely! It is hard to know and only trial and errror for your situation will tell you what will work. Hang in there...Love you all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts