My newest little friend Clara

It has been a super eventful week and I am TIRED and this is the reason why*.
Tuesday I got up early, went to a crafting morning at a friends house, then went back home to meet up with Amanda she brought me these WONDERFUL Chocolate-chip banana bars (just because she is nice and I am pregnant). She posted the recipe here on her blog. Anyway I chatted with her for a few minutes, then another close friend Jess came over to chat. (I love that girl. She is so life giving!) Then I took a nap because WOW that was a busy day and it was only 330pm.
LUCKY FOR ME I TOOK A NAP! Cause around 8pm Emily texted me saying she was having regular contractions (P.S. I forgot to mention she was pregnant and her due date was the next day) Her husband texted me again at 10:30 saying they were closer together and still going. So I decided to head to bed because it may endup being a long night. (They had asked me to come to the delivery)
So I went to bed. Unfortunately I was so excited I couldn't sleep. I tried, but then since my adrenaline was high so was baby girls and she was having a little dance party. (she was excited about the birth of her future bff). I think I slept all of about 30minutes for the 3 hours I was in bed.
Finally around 130 Wyatt texted me saying I should head over. So I got up, got ready and was on my way. She labored at home for a bit longer, then we headed into the hospital. She labored at the hospital from 330ish-8ish then her Dr sent her home again to be more comfortable. (I got to sneak in a 45minute nap at the house). Then around 1 things started really moving and we headed back to the hospital.

Emily and Wyatt decided to try for an all natural birth. No drugs. Nothing. They were VERY well prepared and I was confident she would succeed (this is the same birth plan I have). Anyway- It wasn't easy but she did it! From the time we left the house to the time she delivered WAS THE LONGEST 4ish HOURS of my life- so I can only imagine how long it was to her. Seriously Transition is a B-word. (remember what I gave up for lent? I'm failing at not cussing misserably, but at least I can control it here)
It was rough because she couldn't get comfortable and couldn't get relaxed. Here was the issue. She had to be monitored 20 continuous mins of every hour (Which is RIDICULOUS because baby was doing GREAT). So she HAD to be in bed for that time- the monitor really only picked up well if she was on her back or on her side. And she was uncomfortable both ways. Anyway- She made it through. I have no clue how, and I am seriously SO PROUD of her that she did. Because that monitoring standard did not make it easy.
The pushing was great- I knew Emily would excel at this aspect of labor. And her sweet baby girl was born without any complications around 615pm after 22hour of labor. I am seriously in love with that little girl. (Good thing I have one coming soon or I might have to move in with Em and Wy to see that baby everyday**).

They named her Clara Rose Bury which in my humble opinion is a WONDERFUL name. It fits her perfectly. Here they are right after the delivery.
And here is a pretty picture of em and I-just because I feel mean for posting one of her JUST AFTER SHE HAD A BABY. (even though I think she looks lovely-she will hate the picture)
And here is one of her and Wyatt from early February. Just because this shows why I love this girl so much...this is at our white trash themed b-day party so just know she doesn't usually dress like this.
Yep. Check out that Outfit. And her preggo belly in all its glory. And the hair BAH!
Anyway- It was a wonderful to be with her and support her as she worked hard to bring that beautiful baby into the world. I am so thankful she wanted me there.
On another note- I may have freaked out afterwards and told My husband that I couldn't do that, and neither could he. However, after having time to process here is what I have decided.
I am pretty sure I couldn't have a baby in the hospital under the circumstances that she did and not get an epidural. She had a long labor and again I won't go off on the monitoring, but it was excessive in my opinion for a completely healthy, normal labor.
That is why I again am standing by our decision to have our baby with a midwife-and most likely at a birthing center. (I know- go ahead, collective GASP, "What is she thinking" "She is an RN she should know better" ect ect ect) I truly believe for MOST people labor is a natural healthy process and in america we try to make it an emergency situation. I am aware emergencies happen, and I fully trust my midwife to be looking out for me and act before we get into a pickle if that should be me. And I will deal with that when it comes.
Anyhow- that is a huge digression and probably a topic for an entire blog post. All this to say I am so very proud of my bestie. She truly did wonderful in labor and will do wonderful as a mom too.
That's all for now
Love, La
*wasn't trying to complain about how tired I am- I am sure Em &Wy are exhausted, but I am pregnant and 36hours of being awake with only a couple 45 minute cat-naps won't do for this girl-and I seriously have been exhausted since waking up Thursday morning.
**15weeks baby girl and I will get to meet you! I cannot wait!

Comments

  1. great post LA. I haven't even met Emily and i already love her from the stories you've told!
    And shoot, you can TOTALLY do this thing. You're going to be a complete rockstar in labor. i just know it.
    15weeks! i can't wait!
    i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, those monitors are NO FUN! I remember being hooked up to it for hours in South Africa. I hated it! Just like Emily, I was very uncomfortable laying down and I wanted to be up and moving throughout my labor. So yes, the excessive monitor use seems to be worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for baby girls! And believe me, if I can do a natural labor, YOU can do a natural labor. I'm a complete and total wuss. Congrats to the new family! Little Clara is a sweetheart and I love the name, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts