Baby food and stuff

The last two nights have consisted of Dan and I making baby food. LOTS AND LOTS of baby food. I usually make it as we go. But I kinda got lazy- or busy (busy. definitely busy) and let us pretty much run out so it has been a baby food making marathon around here. It makes for very a very messy kitchen.




I know making your own baby food isn't for everyone but it was been really great for us.

It is CHEAP. My child eats very well for very cheap. We do mostly organic fresh produce and a meal cost us about 10 cents. 30 cents a day to feed the little chubbs? Not too shabby!
Plus I love that we can use seasonings that they don't offer in store bought foods. I have been using seasonings that Dan and I eat a lot. Curry, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, if it is a spice/seasoning that we use often we add it (in a mild amount) to her food. My hopes is that she develops a taste for those things so that when she gets a little bit older we aren't doing the whole "kid dinner" "adult dinner"deal. (Yes I know all you mothers with 2-5 year olds out there are saying "good luck with that sister". I said I am doing this IN HOPE...)
And on top of that stuff Dan and I have even found some great foods that we didn't know we would like but do! Butternut squash? Um where have you been all my life? (Peas...I still kinda gag when I make emmaus eat them, they have not won me over through this experience)

So I thought I would share a few of my favorite recipes to make for Em.
I primarily use wholesomebabyfoods.com to get all my recipes.



Brown Rice Chicken & Peaches
Ingredients:
1/2 cup cooked boneless chicken - chopped
1/4 cup cooked brown rice
1 ripe peach
1 tb juice (white grape or apple juice may be used or use water)
1 tb milk and 2 ts wheat germ
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together, transfer to blender/food processor and puree or chop to make textured for older babies
*I left out the wheat germ

Vanilla Apple, Pear, Blueberry Puree
1 apple diced
1/2 pear diced
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 tsp vanilla

Add all ingredients to pot, add water to almost cover fruit. Simmer for 5 minutes. Puree or mash to appropriate texture.


Rice with Apple and Butternut Squash Purée (4)6 months+
1 squash - acorn, butternut or other winter squash
1 or 2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup applesauce
Cut acorn or butternut squash in half, scoop out seeds
Place halves face down in a pan and cover with an inch of water
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or until the “shell/skin” puckers and halves feel soft then scoop squash “meat” out of the shell
Place squash "meat" into your choice of appliance for pureeing
Add cooked rice and applesauce and blend
Add water as necessary to achieve a smooth, thin consistency
*I added just a dash of cinnamon





So there you have it.  
Oh P.S. looks like we bought a house. One final step to go and I can say that for sure. And then I will share more details.
And just cause I can't get over these pics from this morning 


So sweet. Love that kid.
Love, La









Comments

  1. Congrats On the house! And LB eats exactly what we do (only exception is when we have spicy food he gets the same thing without the heat) so don't count it out for Em eating what you all do. We made all our own baby food too and towards the end it got much easier bc I would just purée what we were eating for LB and he transitioned fast to table foods. Can't wait to hear more on the house :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts